Berea City Schools has suspended all athletic competition until April 6th, 2020 and possibly longer, effective immediately, in response to COVID-19. The announcement was made Thursday by Superintendent Tracy Wheeler, in conjunction with Ohio Governor Mike DeWine’s order that all kindergarten through 12th grade schools close for a period of several weeks.
The suspension applies to all athletic competitions and practices for the health and safety of all who are essential to these activities. This suspension also applies to any camps and clinics sponsored by Berea-Midpark’s athletic programs.
What this means for our Titan student-athletes:
* The OHSAA has implemented indefinitely a no-contact period, which prohibits any coach, paid or volunteer, approved by the BCSD Board of Education to provide coaching, instruction or supervising conditioning and physical fitness programs or open gyms to members of a school team in their sports through April 5th, 2020.
* There will be no spring practices held, at least until April 6th, and possibly longer.
* All Berea-Midpark High School, Middle School and Roehm athletic facilities are closed. Athletes are not to be practicing on their own at these facilities.
* With a return to school date tentatively set by Governor DeWine for April 6, a tentative date of April 11th has been scheduled for teams to return to scrimmages/regular season contests.
* Stay healthy. Get adequate sleep and eat well balanced meals. Cover your mouth when you cough or sneeze. Wash your hands often with water and soap.
What this means for parents of Titan student-athletes:
* Information regarding postponement of Winter Sports Awards will be shared in the coming days.
* Your student-athlete may NOT compete with a club/summer/non-interscholastic team at this time. For spring sport athletes, they would be in violation of the OHSAA non-interscholastic rule if they were to participate.
* Spring athletic participation fees – If you have not paid your fee as of today, please wait for further information. If for some reason the OHSAA decides that spring sports may be canceled, the BCSD Treasurer’s department will issue refunds to all who have paid. Please be patient if this step is necessary.